Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 98 box is 'owned'

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:11:15 -0700

For forensic tools, I would look at Sysinternals' (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml) "RegMon", and
FileMon.

Just a quick note - the link Paul gave was for the Windows NT/2000/XP
tools. Being you're running Windows 98, try here instead:
http://www.sysinternals.com/win9x/98utilities.shtml

I would also like to touch on McAfee. I'm not a big fan of it at
all... after running a repair shop for 4 years and seeing the amount
of software conflicts it caused, I cringe when I see it on a machine.
Norton is better, though all the above are resource hogs and leave a
large footprint on the machine. Check out the free version of AVG if
you're just looking for minimal protection, or try NOD32 for those who
could use something like Norton/McAfee.

As for firewall, ZoneAlarm isn't bad at all. It's free and doesn the
job pretty well. Another nice one is Kerio which also has a free
version available. My personal fav is Sygate, although it isn't free
(beyond a trial).

--
Peace. ~G