Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 98 box is 'owned'; Re:

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 01:39:04 -0500

:) Java... dunno how much better that is than WSH, other than the fact
it's multi-platform, at least... :))) *duck*

Yeah, I'd recommend ducking... that could fuel some flames. =)

I'm open to other ideas too from anyone - the situation in a nutshell
is an orgranization I support needs to migrate away from IE. (The
users really can't handle the spyware and such, no matter how hard I
try to educate and prevent.) The only thing holding them back from
switching is a proprietary ActiveX application that they use to
interface with their data warehouse.

Changing companies isn't a possibility. I've complained at them before
for offering an IE only solution (there are a few Linux systems as
well which results to using WINE; though unstable). They've always
argued that it works... however with the recent onslaught on IE
vulnerabilities and complaints from OTHER netadmins, they are changing
their toon finally. They are currently working on a java interface
instead. The WSH option was also on their minds, although I pointed
out this limits to Windows again... and isn't that much better.

Thoughts? Java will at least be cross platform and cross browser,
which is really all I'm after. However, I'm sure it has it's
drawbacks, though I'm not a java programmer so I don't know what they
might be off-hand. Lookign for ideas from the group. =)

--
Peace. ~G