Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 98 box is 'owned'; Re:

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 15:46:38 -0700

Sending this to the list as well - it seems the topic is still hot in debate. =)

*nodnod* I'm new on the list, I may have missed some of the original
commentary.... Since I'm no longer at Lumeta, I wanted to keep my
'fingers in' what the communities are looking at for security products &
discussion--I mean I can still bounce things off of Ches and Tal, but
still--it's good to read other perspectives too! :)

I'm fairly new to this list myself (just this year). I've been around
others (BugTraq, FD, etc) for quite some time. (I'd imagine the late
90's, but to be honest I don't remember exactly.) This list seems like
a very good place to not only help out those new to the industry, but
also learn new things. Very intelligent people ready and reply here. I
look forward to it!

*nodnodnod* I fully agree. At least some of them put out things
resembling them :) I'm much happier with the Netgear than I was with the
DLink, personally.

Same here. I prefer LinkSys over them all - mostly to brand loyalty.
(It's never lead me wrong yet...) I consider NetGear and LinkSys to be
about equals with D-Link being the "value conscious" buy. I shy away
from it unless the customer is serious about saving small amounts of
$$$. I've never been fond of D-Links web interface and options, though
frequently impressed with LinkSys. (NetGear has gone both ways -
sometimes I've been frustrated at the interface and options while
other times I've been relieved.) Google "linux on linksys" for some
interesting adventures.

Yeah--I've been doing over-ICQ troubleshooting with a friend who has DSL
and one of the Netgears. Finally I told him he needed to just call
Netgear--they'd get the router to log into the DSL accounts, and then
everything would be hunky-dory--he had "a friend" come over--and though
everything's plugged into the right ports (thank the gods), the guy
never did anything about having the *router* do the log-in to the
service. *sigh*

Unfortunately I've found that "friends" of clients/customers have
proved to bring me one of two things, in most cases: Frustration
and/or more business. They either mess something up so I have to come
over and fix it, or they mess something up to badly that I have to
spend a large amount of time finding the problem, then fixing it. I
shouldn't complain though - I got my start as one of those "friends"
to many as well, then watching how the professionals fixed what I
broke. =) Good call on the NetGear doing as much work as possible.
Less for the end-user to break.

*nod* I just know that one of the guys at Lumeta (Karl Siil) swore by
it. *shrug*--I've always had ZoneAlarm, personally. I haven't heard
of/played with Kerio yet--or Sygate. I fully agree with Norton &
McAfee--however, a lot of people buy them because of the name.

It's a common misconception, made by many that should know better.
It's possible they've changed their product since it was drilled into
my head, however I've never found a reason to go back to it. ZA was my
#1 choice for a long time running as well. I liked Sygate over it
because it offered some more advanced features (packet contents,
advanced rules, etc) that I liked. ZA is still perfect for the average
home user who would only have the new Windows Firewall (or nothing)
instead. Kerio seems pretty reliable. I'm not sure how much I like the
difference between their "simple" and "advanced" operation modes. I
wish they included an "Intermediate" as well. (The simple does
basically everything for you. I can see how this could be exploited.
The Advanced gets anoying, prompting for EVERYTHING - even when an MSI
install calls on the setup.exe file, etc.)

Norton and McAfee are popular for the same reason AOL "is #1". They
are recognized and included with many, many things as OEM or "free
trials". Just like AOL, it certainly doesn't mean it's the best just
because it's popular.

Hear Hear!!!! Unfortunately, people don't "get" that it's so damn evil :-/

Very unfortunate indeed. Many of the current problems (spyware being
one of the biggest) wouldn't be such an issue if it wasn't for
ActiveX. The most popular choices for installation (besides
piggy-backing on an install) is deception with an ActiveX prompt.
Though, I guess if ActiveX wasn't around, they would of found another
way to abuse the system.

Hmm. So they're looking to run an applet on the client side via a
webpage? Java/script would be less evil than ActiveX....(not by much but...)

Whenever I wanted to run stuff client-side, I just used a WSH script--if
it's all internal-stuff, then the WSH script can be run off of a domain
controller, and the output (if any) could be saved on whatever internal
server it would have access to.... At least it's *not* ActiveX...
(granted, it can still be evil, however..  My point is, I'd rather trust
*my* evil to do the right thing, than trust an ActiveX applet to do the
right thing...)

I like it. I'm not up on my scripting host (VB) programming, though I
understand some basic concepts. I'll talk to the company who is
currently supporting the ActiveX and see what can be done. Thanks. =)

Hope all is well.

--
Peace. ~G