Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CA eTrust AV

From: justin.schlegel () ICTGROUP COM
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:13:24 -0500

I have been managing Etrust Antivirus 7.0 at my company for about 2 years on
roughly 9000 desktops.  Previously I was running SAV 8.6. CA is working well
in my environment.  I have found that typically AV is AV when it comes to
detecting and stopping viruses.  The piece that sold me on CA was its
management structure.  I like the fact that PC's get their AV policies based
on their subnet and not which Parent Server they are connected to (SAV).
This helps greatly if you move a lot of PC's from subnet to subnet because
you don't have to touch the AV client.

I'd love to be able to comment on support however I can't because I don't
use it.  What I can tell you is that in general I find vendor support to be
terrible.  In fact, 90% of the times I call any vendor for support I end up
resolving the issue while I'm on hold.

If you have some specific questions about Etrust Antivirus ask away and I'll
do my best to help you out.

Just my 2 cents...

Justin