Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CA eTrust AV

From: "Kris Wingard" <kwingard () synergisticusa com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:58:05 -0500

I must respectfully disagree with you guys.  I've worked with Etrust for
about 5 years, and hated the product until version 6.  I have been very
pleased with Etrust's manageability and virus protection since they
moved from the InoculatIT label to the Etrust label.  The dual-scanning
engine is very thorough - we usually run the VET engine for the
real-time monitor and do weekly scheduled scans with the Inoculate
engine.  The proof is in the results, though, and in the last 3 years of
working for a reseller and supporting over 100 networks with servers and
desktops running Etrust 6 or 7, I can honestly say I have seen less than
10 machines get infected with a virus.  I have seen plenty of other
computers running Norton that were behaving strangely but there was no
indication of a problem - I would remove Norton, install CA, and watch
it begin to clean viruses.

The network remote install tool was difficult to first set up, but once
you figure out the tricks of the .ICF files, it is very easy to setup
and manage workstations and servers.  We also run the mail option on all
of our email servers, and have damn near a 100% success rate of stopping
email viruses before they even hit the desktop.  Interestingly enough,
customers still call and try to panic when they see the AVreport.txt
attachment that says a virus was detected and deleted, but once I
explain that this is the anti-virus doing its job properly, they are
very thankful for the product.

Also, you can't argue with lifetime AV updates.  Instead of making you
shell out more $$$ ever year for AV subscriptions, once you buy CA, it
will be functional for the life of the product.  Just my rambling 2
cents, but I've got to say this is the best AV product on the market.