Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Which Windows OS is Safest

From: "Rusty Chiles" <rustychiles () cox net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:57:10 -0700

The safest windows is whatever version is able to mitigate the latest and
greatest 0-day attack. If security comes before convenience, then perhaps
you should look into windows 2003, which has a more secure default
configuration in combination with Ciscos CSA (Cisco Security Agent) which
sits between the API and Kernel of the os, and only allows what you allow to
execute. This can be managed via a central mgmt console, so deploying a
large number of desktops and the management of them is simplified. Yes, you
will need to tune your config for the environment, but once this is done you
will be in a better position should you be "targeted" by a exploit, hack
attack, etc. In tests this solution has mitigated most if not all of the
latest 0-day exploits against the windows operating system in addition to
network born virus attacks. No solution is perfect, but this in combination
with religous patching, and a well secured and segmented network with good
traffic filtering / control is your best bet.

Have fun,

-Rusty