Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Which Windows OS is Safest

From: Cameron Reign <alpha_epoch () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 02:52:04 -0700 (PDT)

The reason the general belief that Windows is
"inherently insecure" is quite simply it's
Microsoft-imposed rigidness. If something needs to be
fixed with any Microsoft product, a patch/fix needs to
be procured from Microsoft. You can't do anything
yourself. That, and, Microsoft software & operating
systems are so overly complex & self-important, the
past has shown Microsoft bleeds, there are so many
holes.

Why are Unix/Linux operating systems better? If you're
good enough at administering a network, you can change
the os's very behavior. You can actually control
everything about it, in such an absolute way, a
talented hand can lock down a system.

There is always the human factor, and nothing is 100%
secure, but you can get a lot closer to perfection on
an open-source operating system, such as Unix/Linux
distributions. You're afforded more control.

    Alpha

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html