Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Which Windows OS is Safest

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 02:04:16 +0200

On 2004-06-28 Boaz wrote:
Wow what timing, I was going to post the following, I have a friend
that has a small business, and is using Win 98 on two machines, Win
2000 pro on two machines, XP Pro on one machine and XP Personal on
another.  There is a Linux firewall, and the server is running Novell.
Since he needs to upgrade the two machines running Win 98, he want to
standardize on one OS.

He is leaning toward XP.  If I am reading the results of this original
post, Win 2000 Pro (patched to current versions) would be a better
choice.  Is that correct?  If so should he also get rid of XP.  This
is a business that needs security and confidentiality of files.

Whether to go for XP or 2000 is IMHO a question of personal taste. I
would prefer Windows 2000, since I find the urge to activate XP quite
annoying. OTOH the lifecyle of 2000 will most likely expire earlier than
the XP lifecycle (see [1] for details), so support will last longer.

If you go for XP: use XP Pro, not XP Home. It's a lot less painful in
administration.

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html