Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RFMON detection

From: Austin Godber <godber () uberhip com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 21:14:06 -0700

captgoodnight () acsalaska net wrote:
On Tuesday 06 July 2004 07:45 am, hax wrote:

Curious; is it possible to remotely detect a sniffing wireless card
that's in monitor mode?

The short answer is: no, it isn't.  RFmon mode is simply making the
card act like a radio, picking up all that's in the air.  Because of
this, sniffing with RFmon will show you all the packets going by
without you being connected to any AP.  You can't detect this, it's
like asking if you can detect someone tuned to a certain radio
station.

Perfect analogy.

Actually, you can detect what radio stations people are listening to. I remember seeing it on the news that someone was collecting statistics on what radio stations people were listening to in their cars. This was in the Phoenix area. I will post more info once I find it again.

Although it might be hard to use this to detect intruders on wireless networks. It would really depend on what mechanism makes it possible.

You can also identify a particular transmitter based on some minute differences in how it transmits. This is called RF Fingerprintging and is used or was used by the cellphone companies to defeat cloning. There was also an article in Monitoring times a year or two ago about it. I thought this might be an effective method IDing wireless users. And actually, it might (emphasis) might be applicable to the technique used to detect what receivers are tuned to.

Maybe if you can RF Fingerprint a receiver you would have something ... but that really depends on how everything works ... and I forget at this point. I will try to find the physics.

Austin

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html