Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RFMON detection

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 6 Jul 2004 17:59:24 -0000

Curious; is it possible to remotely detect a sniffing wireless card that's in monitor mode?

Perhaps...depends on the system.  If it's a Windows system and you have access to it as an Admin, you can check for
installed drivers via WMI or sc.exe.  The presence of the WinPcap drivers will tell you that a sniffer is installed.
Using psexec.exe to run other tools will help you narrow down the application using the driver.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html