Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Access Quarantine

From: Random Task <rand0m_t4sk () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:54:28 -0800 (PST)

A lot of Universities use a system similar to this in residence
halls. You plug in, your MAC is checked on an allowed list, not
found, so your DHCP request is fulfilled by a public server that
performs a port 80 redirect to a registration/login page. The DHCP
lease is set to five or ten seconds, so after registering, one
basically must wait for the page to reload, then they've already
bopped over to the DHCP server with more access.

There was an article on slashdot about someone patenting this process
(WRT wireless hotspots) and a few people posted some info on this
type of thing.

Mainly though, I'm thinking you may have better luck looking for a
system that meets these parameters. I'm sure you can find a
University somewhere that coded their own and made it open source, if
there isn't already an open source version. Once you find one, you
just change the HTML stuff to run the scan before allowing it. I know
the University of Minnesota did something like this when students
came back to class in September to try and keep blaster off the
network. Perhaps start here: http://www1.umn.edu/nts

--- Steve <securityfocus () delahunty com> wrote:
Why not force them to VPN in?  Sure, there would be overhead for
that, and
costs for the VPN.

I had a thought about this, and wonder what the groups thinks of
this
approach.  With the security issues we now face in the workplace, I
could
see a good case for a real firewall between the actual end-users
(employees)
and our systems.  I mean, why should regular old employees have
direct
access to all network servers anyway other than what they need for
email
etc?  Sure this would take some work to set up the firewall ruleset
internally but think about how recently we have all seen corporate
servers
running the risk of being infected by Nimda etc from inside our
networks,
not the fear if those ports are blocked between the servers and the
employees.  Just an interesting thought.