Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Dumb question abt. Wireless WEP security

From: "crtech" <crtech () hot rr com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:01:44 -0600

The wavelength for 2.4GHz is 4.92 inches
The wavelength for 5 GHz is 2.3616 inches

The higher the frequency number the shorter the wavelength.  The shorter the
wavelength the shorter the distance the signal will travel and the more
signal loss from obstacles.  This is why say am radios can reach across the
state, where as microwaves are strictly line of site.

Shawn Jackson said:

The wavelength of a 2.4Ghz band transmitter is smaller then that
of say a 5Ghz. Basically the lower you go the smaller 'footprint' your
signal has. So the 2.4Ghz signal can pass through more things then the
5.0Ghz signal. We proved this true when using our two wireless internet
broadband products at the ISP I worked for. Basically, you should always
watch where you place your AP and know how your signal will propagate.

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!