Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Dumb question abt. Wireless WEP security

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:50:45 -0800

<SNIP>
customer (SMB/SOHO) locations we used normal WiFi gear. We used MAC
control, disabled the broadcasting of the SSID and enabled WEP and
that
was a good 'secure by default' solution. The attacker would need to
guess the SSID,
<SNIP>

This is not the best way to go, as for the SSID hiding. Someone posted
paper on this fact at the following link that resumes well why it is
not a
good thing to disable it. In short, disabling the broadcast just ends
up
adding the SSID to more packets "in transit".

        In our cases we were not worried about the 'limited' increase in
traffic and slight performance degradation, i.e. 5 people using the
network for web and email. The attack used to gain the SSID is more
sophisticated then most other wireless attacks, and as of yet I haven't
seen software that can do it for you seaming it requires an active
session to spoof/fake.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA
1190 Trademark Dr #107
Reno NV 89521

www.horizonusa.com
Email: sjackson () horizonusa com
Phone: (775) 858-2338
             (800) 325-1199 x338

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!