Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Dumb question abt. Wireless WEP security

From: jburzenski () americanhm com
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:48:31 -0500

Hi all,

There seems a general understanding that WEP is not secure
enough, because theoretically WEP encyrption can be broken.

The question is abot the practical usage; how easy it is for
WEP to be broken?

The rate at which WEP can be broken using traditional methods depends on the
amount of traffic that is generated by the wireless network.  In my
experience a typical network will take at least 3 days to crack with the
average looking more like 7-10 days.  This is using tools such as Kismet /
Airsnort / wepcrack.

To attempt to answer your first question below, I haven't run into a WEP
protected network that could be cracked in less than an hour (or a day for
that matter).

Does it suffice to sniff the wireless network for one hour,
or do we need to sniff for few days? What happens if the
wireless network is periodically
stopped let's say every 10 hours for 15 minutes,

Periodically stopping the wireless network (ie. Killing the power) every day
for a few minutes won't make a whole lot of difference to a cracker.  Unless
you change your keys or something, the cracking process will pick up right
where it left off.

If you can leave your network off for hours at a time (when the business is
closed or when the lights are turned off) you will be better protected from
the casual war-driver because your network will be undetectable while it is
powered off.

Speaking practically, turning off your network to protect your WEP keys
doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.  There are two types of hackers
coming after your wireless network, casual and determined.

The casual hacker will most likely keep on driving because chances are there
are 10-12 unsecured, clear text wireless networks with out of the box
configuration settings setup with 3 miles of where you are.

The determined hacker who has patience and accessibility to your wireless
signal will break your WEP and will sniff your traffic which is why it is
imperative to not rely solely on WEP for protection of your data.

Regards,

Veli I. Cigirgan
Vizo Bilisim Sistemleri Ltd.
Istanbul
Tel:+90(212)210 2657
Fax:+90(212)210 3678

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!