Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ISO 17799 / BS 7799 certification

From: Alessandro <a.bottonelli () infinito it>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:40:38 +0100

On Thursday 22 January 2004 14:03, Gideon Rasmussen, CISSP, CFSO, CFSA, SCSA
wrote:
I do not know of an ISO 17799 certification. There is a Yahoo group
dedicated to the ISO 17799 standard:

Actually, there isn't such thing as a ISO 17799 certification. At the
beginning of time there were a BS-7799 part 1 (Code of Practice) and a
BS-7799 part 2 (Specifications). A certification was vs. BS-7799 part 2.

Now "the kit" is made of an ISO 17799 part 1 (Code of Practice) and a BS 7799
part 2 (Specifications). A certification is still vs. BS 7799 part 2 while
there isn't any longer a BS 7799 part 1. There are no plans at the time to
produce a ISO 17799 part 2 (but never say never...). The "Code of practice"
provides guidelines ("should" is used in all sentences) the "Specifications"
mandates requirements (the "should" becomes a "shall" in all clauses).

I felt like dropping this quick note, as the general public is confused
whether there is any difference between the ISO and the BS part of this
standard and how the two relate to each other.

Cheers from Italy

--
Alessandro Bottonelli, BS Lead Auditor & CISSP
www.axis-net.it

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!