Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Education and Security

From: "Phillip McCollum" <PMcCollum () sanmanuel com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 08:39:43 -0700

Hi Daryl,

This makes sense as security really should be about the business and
it's processes as a whole.  You need to thoroughly understand exactly
what it is your protecting and why.  Now this doesn't necessarily
preclude a CS major from entering that field, but it never hurts to have
an encompassing view of the entire company and security outside of the
digital realm.

Just my $.02,

Phillip McCollum
Network Technician
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians
pmccollum - at - sanmanuel.com

Daryl <dwalleck () satx rr com> 4/6/2004 7:37:33 AM >>>
    I believe questions similar to this have been asked before but my
version is a bit different. I'm currently a computer science major
(not
too far along) who's always been interested in the security field. I
chose CS for a major since it was the closest thing. Recently my
college
began to offer a full BA in Infrastructure Assurance, their version of
security degree. My only worry is that the degree plan is rooted in
the
school of Business and therefore requires a large core of business
classes and not as much technical work (a copy of the requirements can
be found here
http://business.utsa.edu/undergraduate/degrees/is/BBA_IA.pdf). At this
point I think I've thought the issue to death in my head and I could
really use some outside input. Any thoughts?

    Daryl Walleck

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545
off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or
less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert
instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of
in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the
skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your
organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html