Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Case studies / statistics on wireless security?

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:43:58 -1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henry Masa" <henrymasa () yahoo com>
To: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 6:43 PM
Subject: Case studies / statistics on wireless security?

I recently gave a short talk about wireless security at the nonprofit
organization I work at.  In the first part of the hour discussion I
discussed open public hot-spots -- Internet cafes, airport lounges, the
random unrestricted access point -- and some potential threats you expose
yourself to, such as sniffing and man-in-the-middle attacks.  One
participant in the discussion asked for evidence that these types of attacks
really do occur, and I could not readily refer her to a good source of
information.

My belief is the threat is real and I would like to be able to validate my
theory.  But I can't find a reliable source of information about the
prevalence of this type of activity.  Are there Web sites, articles, recent
books, etc. that provide statistics or case studies of compromises to
wireless data transmission or privacy?  Thanks.

- Hank

Hank

If you go to:

http://www.netstumbler.org

and search the Forums for things like "sniffer", "wep" and "mac", just to suggest a few, you'll get an idea of what's
going on out
there.<smile>

--Michael

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html