Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Education and Security

From: "JTH" <jth () visi com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:26:10 -0500

Depends. If you want to be a higher-up, dual-degree. I assume you're
technically oriented to start with, as you're currently CS. You'll
probably want to develop those technical skills as well, but the business
degree will make you better at selling security to your management (or
your clients) while you still have the technical knowledge. If you're not
so technical, go for the business degree alone and become a PHB. If you
just like the grunt-work, stick with CS and go into pen-testing or
firewall configuring as a living.

I went CS, am currently a pen-tester, but am good enough at the deal that
I wish I would've gotten a minor in business, and may go back for an MBA
instead. But that's just me.