Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hiding IP in E-Mail..

From: Gedi <gediintheuk () yahoo co uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:42:45 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

Bit late with the answer, but you can hide your IP
when sending emails by using anonymous remailers.
These work in a similar way to anon proxies in that
the proxy IP will be displayed instead of yours.
Simple server side scripts strip all headers and
replace them.

You can also chain the remailers for further anominity
by giving instructions at the start of the mail.

Here is a quick link I found related to the mastermix
remailers.
http://www.obscura.com/~loki/remailer/remailer-essay.html

Be careful, although this will make you anonymous to
the general public, the authorities can still trace
you by tracing your tracks via logs.

I do have better links at work as I did some research
on these. If I remember I'll forward them tomorrow.

HTH

Gedi