Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hiding IP in E-Mail..

From: Tim Greer <chatmaster () charter net>
Date: 02 Sep 2003 08:47:56 -0700

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 16:04, Mark Sargent wrote:
Hi All,

no, I'm not training to be a spammer. I just wish to hide my IP address from
people I mail to. I don't have access to my ISP's mail server. I don't care
about the person I'm mailing to knowing who I am, just don't want my IP
showing, that's all. When my OE connects to a lists server, I don't want
then knowing who I am. I'm just extra paranoid, I guess. I've just
re-installed my OS after a lot of weird goings on, and am lookin' to tie
down the hatch a little more. Am already using proxies for browsing and a
good soft firewall. Am studying up on TCP/IP and am now looking at packet
filtering apps and network traffic monitors etc..guess I'm also starting to
enjoy the security side of it, as I had almost 10yrs in the security
business, non PC. Anyway, thanx to all for your suggestions etc. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

If your IP doesn't show, then SMTP is broken in my opinion.  If you want
to get around having your IP show, use a web mail service and a proxy to
send through it, or just use a remailer.  IPs (should) are shown in the
header for good reason, you shouldn't try and get around this.
--
Tim Greer <chatmaster () charter net>

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com