Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hiding IP in E-Mail..

From: malxbox () wanadoo fr
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:20:13 +0200 (CEST)

Tim Greer <chatmaster () charter net> wrote :

If your IP doesn't show, then SMTP is broken in my opinion.  If you want
to get around having your IP show, use a web mail service and a proxy to
send through it, or just use a remailer.  IPs (should) are shown in the
header for good reason, you shouldn't try and get around this.

But suppose you see in mail headers IP adresses of private ranges like 10.X.X.X, 172.16.X.X or 192.168.X.X
For example this one from my ISP : 172.22.135.25

Wouldn't it be better that this kind of adresses be hidden or replaced by public IP range adresses ?
In my opinion, showing this in mail headers represents a security risk.

Have a nice day and thank you very much for all knowledge you share.

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com