Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Patching a Firewall

From: Jimi Thompson <jimit () myrealbox com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:04:48 -0500

Robert,

Item 1 - I would never run Windows as a firewall simply because of the extreme difficulty in hardening the OS to prevent it from being exploited. I have heard of this being done, but I've never observed it in a reputable shop. Most places either use a device that is specifically a firewall or a hardened *nix OS (i.e. Solaris, Trusted Solaris, Trusted FreeBSD, NSA Secure Linux, Bastille, etc.). The reason for using a nix OS is so that services which are not needed can be removed from the box without causing a major disruption to the OS. Think of what would happen if you tried to un-install NetBIOS from Windows.

Item 2 - If your OS on your firewall has a vulnerability, your firewall itself is vulnerable. If I can get your OS to cooperate and give me "root" or "Administrator", I can change your firewall rules, logging, user accounts, etc. to suit myself.

Item 3 - Your firewall, for management purposes, probably accepts connections to itself. The question then becomes where does it accept connections from and, if you are a hacker, how can I spoof that. ANYTHING that's not physical layer can be spoofed and even that's not a guarantee that someone sneaky hasn't installed a device somewhere to trip you up.

I notice from your email address that you are with an investment banker. That means you deal with money. Any time cash is involved, especially transferring cash electronically, your level of paranoia should be very very high (like almost ready to cart you off in the "i love me jacket"). Never mind the SEC regulations.....

2 Cents,

Jimi