Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Patching a Firewall

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () netmedic net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:03:55 -0400

Define "extreme difficulty" for hardening the Windows OS.

You mentioned "NSA Secure Linux" which is actually Security-Enhanced Linux
(notice the NSA does not want to claim it "Secure" just enhanced).
There is a NSA Security Guidelines W2K at http://www.nsa.gov/snac/index.html
Level2 W2K Security at http://www.cisecurity.org/

All of which are free.

And if you want to go beyond that.

http://www.securit-e-doc.com/products/securitelok.asp

At under $150.00 per server and takes about 30 minutes to setup.

You can completely disable NetBIOS on W2K as well as every other service not
needed.

The above mentioned Guidelines and products do that.

And I can think of many "reputable" shops running IAS.
And I have several servers running IIS and E-mail that only have 7 services
running (excluding AV and Spam Control), that have software Firewalls
running on them.

Dave

Dave Kleiman
dave () netmedic net
www.netmedic.net

"High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation."
Jack Kinder