Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: arpwatch

From: "B. McAninch" <lists () planbproduktions com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 23:31:46 -0500

The _protocol_standard_ dictates that an ARP request is
broadcasted to ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff and an ARP reply is returned via
unicast. This permits all hosts on the local network segment to
receive the request and only the requesting host to receive the
reply.

As we know, most protocol-based attacks exploit inherent weakness
in a protocol or by not following the protocol's standard - nmap is a great
example of this.

In my personal experience, I've had hosts reply to both unicast and
broadcast ARP requests, as well as accept unicast or broadcast ARP
replies, and update their cache entries. This essentially creates four
possible attack "subtypes":

1. ARP request sent to the broadcast address
2. ARP request sent directly to the target host via unicast
3. ARP reply sent to the broadcast address
4. ARP reply sent directly to the target host via unicast

Attacks 1 and 2 are possible since a host (by protocol standards)
receiving an ARP request updates its own ARP cache entry for the host
sending the request - this is done to reduce network chatter.

Attacks 3 and 4 are possible since ARP is a stateless protocol.
The host receiving the reply doesn't keep track of whether or not
it just sent an ARP request or not, it just happily accepts the reply
and updates its ARP cache entry for the replying host.

Aside from sniffing on switched networks, imagine this - you
broadcast flood (and I mean flood) an entire network segment with
unsolicited ARP replies. These replies all have their IP's spoofed as
the gateway's IP, telling all hosts the default gateway's MAC address
is in fact a non-existent MAC address. Unless the hosts have static
ARP cache entries for the gateway's MAC address, they will no longer
be able to communicate outside the local network segment - a very
easily implemented DoS-style attack ;-)

My 2 cents:

1st cent: TCP/IP Illustrated vol. 1 - W. Richard Stevens
2nd cent: http://www.packetfactory.net/libnet/dist/libnet.tar.gz

Cheers,

Bryan