Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Patching a Firewall

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:18:20 +0200

On 2003-09-15 Robert Mezzone wrote:
Can a Unix a box be hardened more than a Windows box,

I would say yes, or at least the hardening is a lot easier. Unix
systems don't run as much services in the default installation as
Windows systems do, you don't need to have a GUI and there are no such
things like web browser or instant messenger that ar "inseparable from
the operating system".

I don't know since my Unix exposure is minimal, but there are a lot of
things that can be done to a Windows machine to lock it down pretty
tight.

A lot of these things don't need to be done to a Unix machine.

Can it be hacked, probably, but I would imagine anything can given
enough time.

Of course it can. Almost everything can be hacked. A Unix box just makes
it easier for you to reduce the surface. IMHO.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm