Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Patching a Firewall

From: Birl <sbirl () temple edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:53:08 -0400 (EDT)

As it was written on Sep 12, thus Robert Mezzone typed:

Robert:  I want to start off by saying my Firewall is fully patched. That being said
Robert:  my question is...
Robert:
Robert:  Is it a big security risk if the OS (say Windows) running the firewall box,
Robert:  is not fully patched? My reasoning that it isn't is because the firewall
Robert:  should be configured to drop any connections to itself. Or being the
Robert:  firewall has to at least initially accept the packet in order to inspect it,
Robert:  enough to exploit a vulnerability.
Robert:
Robert:  Robert

Consider what would happen if the firewall failed you one day
(ie: a hole was finally discovered, you introduced a new virus through
     removeable media, the firewall executable on sits on a bad disk
     sector, etc)

An extra layer of security doesnt hurt.

Thanks

 Scott Birl                              http://concept.temple.edu/sysadmin/
 Senior Systems Administrator            Computer Services   Temple University

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm