Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Possible new virus?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:30:24 -0700

Bootsector virus, perhaps?....
Do you know if the fans are still in fact running?

Hmm, I don't see how even the worst bootsector virus could
have any effect
on the fans since they come on before POST and work even if
the CPU is dead.

  Chris, please stop and think for just a moment!!!

  The original poster has not (yet) provided an answer to this
CRITICAL question:

Do you know if the fans are still in fact running?

  All he has described is a MESSAGE on the screen (and accompanying
noise) CLAIMING that the fans have died.

  I could write a boot-sector virus that spat out a message that
the moon was made of green cheese.  Whether my virus *could* actually
turn the moon into green cheese or not would be completely
independent of whether you had caught my boot virus or not!

  (I seem to recall a family of viruses that attempted to re-flash
the BIOS.  Machines that were supposed to have different BIOS versions
might not, after attack by such a virus....)

David Gillett

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm