Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Possible new virus?

From: "Lee Rich" <lee.rich () wlga gov uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:18:30 +0100

Hate to rain on your parade Chris, but Matt did state that 'I wouldn't think twice if it hadn't happened to 3 computers
from 3 different vendors in 2 days'.

I'm no statistician, but that's one hell of a coincidence for exactly the same symptoms to occur on three seperate
machines.

What would interest me however, is at what point the message was displayed; and if displayed during POST, are each of
the machines using the same BIOS?

If we took everything for face value then we'd be a little bit more than nieve in the securty department.

('svchost.exe caused an error'.. the problem is obviously with svchost.exe... couldn't be MSBlast.. right?)

"I'm not sure how it made it on to the list"

And please don't forget, this is 'security-basics'.. which means to me, that it's not all security experts here, it's
people breaking into the field aswell. So you should expect questions that may be simple to yourself, but to others,
it's part of a learning curve.

-Lee Rich
security () wlga gov uk