Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Possible new virus?

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:18:28 -0700

From: Tomas Wolf <tomas () skip cz>
If I remember corectly that each signal from speaker means something. I'm several years out of this, so I don't remember what means what, but maybe a board manual will help to determine what it means... I think that memory failure was one long, and video failure was longer and two short ones, but I might be wrong... It's been a while :-)

Yeah, those are called POST codes, and they vary depending on the BIOS manufacturer. There are a couple of different places to find them, but I like "Upgrading and Repairing PC's 13th Edition" They have stuff in there you wouldn't believe, including all kinds of pinout diagrams, and low level details.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Conciousness: that annoying time between naps."

Send and receive larger attachments with Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

Captus Networks Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster? - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm