Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Possible new virus?

From: "gregh" <chows () ozemail com au>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:53:13 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Pedrosa Eilert
To: security-basics
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: Possible new virus?

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Chris Berry wrote:

Oh, I wasn't complaining because it was basic, I was complaining because
it's not a security issue.  To the best of my knowledge (which on this
particular subject is fairly extensive since I'm originally from a hardware
background), there is no possible way for software to interfere with the CPU
cooler no matter how malicious it is, there just isn't any interface.

Just wanted to say that many motherboards actually have the option to install software to monitor fan, heat and so on.
If they fall below the set threshhold which can be set by the user if they wish, there is the option for an alarm to
sound. Thus it IS possible for a program written to exploit that to change the settings and cause an alarm to go off
when, say, the temperature goes above a ridiculously low amount or the fan speed is below a ridiculously HIGH amount.

Greg.

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm