Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail

From: Florian Streck <streck () papafloh de>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 20:22:30 +0200

I have the very same problem. My first approach was to contact the
police, but with no result. Now I'm trying to find out as much as
possible about the IP (thanks to hotmails X-Originating-IP) that was
used to send the Mail. Just now I'm stuck with slowly responding admins
from the university that owns the IP.

As a short recipe:
- if there is no such thing as the X-Originating-IP to definitely find
  out where the mail originated, block Mails with such content and don't
  waste any more timeon that topic.
- if you have such an IP, try to find out whom it belongs to (reverse
  dns lookup and whois). Then mail to their abuse department and ask for
  help. They only need to lookup who owned the IP at that time (with
  dynamic IPs) or who used the computer at that time. If they don't
  cooperate to well then try the police but don't be to confident in
  them.
- if you have an IP but it belongs to a computer with anonymous accounts
  you're also stuck.

I hope it helps. If you find some other ways please let me know.

Florian Streck