Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail

From: khayes () eastbay com
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:03:32 -0500

Unfortunately there isn't a clear way to do this since Yahoo is the middle
guy and the mail headers were generated there.  We recently had a similar
e-mail come in and we spoke to Yahoo directly.  While they were sympathetic
to the situation, they stated some sort of Court Order or Law Enforcement
involvment would be required for them to give out information.

Ken Hayes
Network Administrator
Eastbay / Footlocker.com
Wausau, WI Offices
(715) 261-9573
khayes () eastbay com

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |   "steve baker"           |
|         |   <stephenbbaker@hotmail.c|
|         |   om>                     |
|         |                           |
|         |   05/27/2003 11:38 AM     |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |To:     security-basics () securityfocus com
          |
  |cc:
       |
  |Subject:  Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail

One of our users has received questionable and possibly life threatening
emails from a yahoo account that was created recently.  They have
approached
us to find out as much as we can pertaining to the person sending it.

Of course, we are not YAHOO so we cannot determine anything about the mail
other than the content.

How can we find out who sent this?