Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: rogue IP address

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 13:18:34 -0700

From: <dondon () pacbell net>
Someone on our network assigned an IP address to their own system without
my knowledge.  Using LANguard network scanner, the best I can tell is that
it's a Linux box.  The port-to-IP mapping table on our Asante switch
doesn't see to work correctly.

Any suggestions on tracing down that system that is associated with the IP
is appreciated!

Assign that IP to another box and wait to see who calls in for tech support because of the conflict.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." -- Duke Leto Atreides

FastTrain has your solution for a great CISSP Boot Camp. The industry's most recognized corporate security certification track, provides a comprehensive prospectus based upon the core principle concepts of security. This ALL INCLUSIVE curriculum utilizes lectures, case studies and true hands-on utilization of pertinent security tools. For a limited time you can enter for a chance to win one of the latest technological innovations, the SEGWAY HT. Log onto http://www.securityfocus.com/FastTrain-security-basics ----------------------------------------------------------------------------