Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: rogue IP address

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:57:11 -0700

  Port-to-IP is nice to have on switches, but not all switches
do it or do it well.
  What they *must* do well, in order to function as switches,
is port-to-MAC address.  So if you ping the target and then
check your local ARP cache ("arp -a" on Windows), you should
find a MAC address that you can then track in the switch.

Notes:
1.  If they're behind a router or other such device, that's
where the MAC will lead you -- you may have to repeat the
search on the other side of the device.

2.  Yeah, the MAC address can be spoofed.  This would generally
cause traffic to go to them that *shouldn't*, rather than throw
your tracking off the scent -- it doesn't matter if you find them
via their "real" MAC address, or one they're impersonating.
Although the latter *would* tend to indicate malicious intent.

3.  There are some weirdnesses with AOL clients that could cause
strange addresses to show up apparently coming from mobile
machines (i.e., laptops).  Pretty unlikely if Linux is running
on the box, though.

David Gillett