Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: rogue IP address

From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <BStrauss () acm org>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 16:05:12 -0500

A much better link for MAC lookup is

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml

since the IEEE is the body that manages the assignments, they're the most
current.

Be aware that you can spoof the MAC address.   Values beginning 02:xx:xx
(mask 0x02, really) are what's supposed to be used, but if the OS allows you
to set it, you can usually set it to ANYTHING.

This might be relevant if somebody has put up a rogue wireless router/access
point and used the spoofing capability to try and hide it.  If they are
trying to hide it, you're going to have to look for cabinets and boxes which
are plugged into the outlets...

Also, the name that the database will show you isn't always the name you
know.  Sometimes it's the chipset vendor or the oem or the name on the box.
Those are all legal, it's just a matter of who does the paperwork (and who
burns the bits into what).

Still, if they've pieced the rogue together from outdated parts it will
sometimes stand out - gee, what's the ABC Corp. box doing on the network, we
haven't used anybody but XYZ, Corp in five years... tell you exactly what
piece of kit to go snooping for.

-----Burton