Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Rogue IP Address

From: Alaric Darconville <alaric () cowboy net>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 14:07:51 -0500 (CDT)

I have seen a few responses to this stating to block that IP address at
the router, or to reassign that address to another machine, in the hopes
that someone will holler about his network not working.  But someone
intentionally using an IP address different from what they were assigned
is probably not going to turn himself in like that.  It would be akin to
driving a stolen police car to the city garage and having the engine
looked at.

It might be as simple as someone mis-entering the IP when
setting up the system, but if it's a Linux machine then it's probably not
doing the same things the user's ordinary workstation would be doing,
therefore, he'd have to leave that machine running.  On the other hand, he
may have a dual-boot configuration on his machine, in which case, the IP
he's usually assigned won't always show up on the network
(disappearing when he reboots to go to his Linux setup).  Perhaps the IP
he's using is some sort of accidental transposition of characters (171
instead of 117, for example.)  But if no IP's dropped off the face of the
earth when the new one started showing up, it's definitely "IP
theft."  He's not going to call tech support, he'll just switch to another
stolen IP.  For the most part, you're going to ahve to assume that he
knows what he is doing is wrong.  Forget trying to get him to call when
that machine can't connect.

Looking for extra machines in the area may help track it down.  Pinging it
to get the MAC address from the Arp cache will identify the machine a bit
further.  Trying to telnet to standard ports (25, 110, 23, etc) may reveal
banners to help identify it.  Maybe you'll be lucky and the sendmail
banner displays "220 masterofpuppets ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.5" etc.... Look
for the huge Metallica fan in the building :)

Alaric Darconville

Andy (dondon () pacbell net) wrote:
Someone on our network assigned an IP address to their own system without
my knowledge.  Using LANguard network scanner, the best I can tell is
that it's a Linux box.  The port-to-IP mapping table on our Asante switch
doesn't see to work correctly.

Any suggestions on tracing down that system that is associated with the
IP is appreciated!

Andy

FastTrain has your solution for a great CISSP Boot Camp. The industry's most
recognized corporate security certification track, provides a comprehensive
prospectus based upon the core principle concepts of security. This ALL INCLUSIVE curriculum utilizes lectures, case
studies and true hands-on utilization
of pertinent security tools. For a limited time you can enter for a chance
to win one of the latest technological innovations, the SEGWAY HT.
Log onto http://www.securityfocus.com/FastTrain-security-basics