Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: rogue IP address

From: Dave <david.morris () curvalue nl>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 09:48:54 +0200

Hi,
    I do not know your switch, or your network layout, but generic method
which works in most cases is to set up a fast/"large data size" ping to said
IP address.

Look for the fastest blinking light.

I know it is not scientific, and probably offends some people but it does
work. (For up to a few hundred ports).

- Assumes flat network.
- Better to do it at a 'quiet' time, the effect is more noticeable
- Assumes that you are aware of your important ports (servers/routers etc.)
which normally have high load anyway.
- Do NOT do it if network performance is critical, you can overload the best
of switches with ICMP.
- Maybe there are a few ports which look like possibilities, but at least you
have narrowed them down.

/Dave