Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Workaround

From: James Fields <jvfields () tds net>
Date: 30 Jul 2003 13:31:24 -0400

This sounds false on its face.  Cisco actually makes a great deal of
money from providing support (trust me, I know what my company pays for
a blanket contract and it's enough to put several Cisco-kids through
college every year).

There's a pretty good reason why this flaw wasn't found sooner - the
parameters required to exploit the flaw are a combination of things that
are extremely unlikely to occur naturally.  Three of the four protocols
are not something you'd intentionally target at a router.  The fourth
(PIM) is something you would target at a router if you needed it, but my
understanding is with PIM support in the IOS and enabled, the router
isn't affected.  Further, for all four protocols the TTL on the packet
has to be exactly at the point of expiring to get "wedged" in the input
queue.  It is very rare for any packet's TTL to expire exactly at the
place where it is intended to land except during traceroutes - the only
other time it is common for a TTL to expire is where there is a routing
loop somewhere in a network.

What is quite possible is that once in a VERY long while a router might
be affected by something in these protocols, but since it takes a lot of
these special packets to fill the input queue in many cases people may
not know they were being affected at all, or may have opened TAC cases
wondering why their input queues seemed to be stuck at something higher
than 0.  I would bet a (small) sum that up until the flaw was announced
and hackers got busy creating exploits, there were no documented cases
of a router's interface getting hosed this way that were attributable to
this kind of traffic.

How exactly would Cisco "conveniently" find this flaw?  Are you
suggesting that they somehow introduced it?  How could they do that when
it is apparently in every IOS since 1994?  That certainly seems to be
the suggestion given your assertion that it is odd that it wasn't
discovered sooner.

I do not think we are praising them for having such a nasty bug.  I
think the reason Cisco is looking OK is that Cisco's behavior in
revealing it themselves is seen in contrast to so many companies who A)
don't find their own flaws and B) ignore them or deny them when
notified.  If you wanted them to be like everyone else, they could
simply have kept this one to themselves and hoped no one would find it
for a couple more years, counting on most everyone upgrading past the
vulnerability.  Based on how long it went undetected, they could have
tried that.