Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cisco Workaround

From: "Todd Mitchell - lists" <lists () ciphin com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:02:11 -0400

| As to support, I heard an interesting conspiracy
| theory related to Cisco support and the IOS flaw:
|
| The theory is that Cisco had far to many IOS versions
| that they support in the field and in order to reduce
| support costs they "conveniently" found this flaw with
| the IOS software and used it to propel an upgrade of
| all IOS system. Thus reducing the overall costs of
| support and saving Cisco a large amount of $$$$$.
|
| I have found it strange that such an easy and
| dangerous flaw has not given Cisco a black eye on
| this. Micro$oft constantly is getting beaten for less
| dangerous flaws in their OS and other softwares, but
| Cisco actually has gotten praise for having found and
| published the flaws details [as limited as those
| details were].
|
| What do you think?

Interesting theory; however way to risky from a business point of view.
The bean counters might be happy now that they only have to support x
versions of IOS & in turn are saving x dollars.  But keep in mind the
negative ramifications from a massive security alert are/were unknown
and I doubt Cisco would risk their reputation or whatever to bring
everyone onto the same wave length just to save a few pennies.

Todd

--