Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Workaround

From: Jac <jac_des_vert () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 04:33:41 -0700 (PDT)

As to support, I heard an interesting conspiracy
theory related to Cisco support and the IOS flaw:

The theory is that Cisco had far to many IOS versions
that they support in the field and in order to reduce
support costs they "conveniently" found this flaw with
the IOS software and used it to propel an upgrade of
all IOS system. Thus reducing the overall costs of
support and saving Cisco a large amount of $$$$$.

I have found it strange that such an easy and
dangerous flaw has not given Cisco a black eye on
this. Micro$oft constantly is getting beaten for less
dangerous flaws in their OS and other softwares, but
Cisco actually has gotten praise for having found and
published the flaws details [as limited as those
details were].

What do you think?

Jac

"I'm not paranoid, everyone is out to get me."

--- stephane nasdrovisky
<stephane.nasdrovisky () uniway be> wrote:

As far as this particular issue is concerned, Cisco
do provide a high quality of
support to its customers. What they don't provide is
free training for lazy
network administrators. If you're unable to apply
the IOS patch they freely
provide to any administrator who asks for it (as
stated in the advisory), why
would you complain and waste anybody's time?

As for Wesley, don't you believe that cisco should
be responsible on providing
a high quality of support to its customers since
they paid $$$$$$$$$$$$$