Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: problem on personal pc not server

From: "chris halverson" <darusint () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:03:16 -0600

I agree that it is not prudent to instantly assume it is a virus, but in some situations it is easier to update and check for a virus than to try and locate an alternate mouse or take the time to replace hardware when there is various places that might be the problem (Mouse, rollers, cable, PS2 port, USB port, Motherboard, drivers, OS, alternative software)

But the big question here is what is the problem in ensuring that the Virus Defs are up to date?

Also, it could be a new strain of the virus that when connected to internet could fall prey to performing these issues.

A great tool to check if something is running is process explorer from sysinternals (www.sysinternals.com). It has helped me in numerous situations that things seem strange and when I checked what processes are running, I discovered what was draining the system and what was doing the damage.

Chris