Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: problem on personal pc not server

From: "Brad" <gryphonn () austarnet com au>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:46:00 +1000

From:                   "chris halverson" <darusint () hotmail com>
To:                     Enquiries () globalart4u com
Copies to:              security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject:                Re: problem on personal pc not server
Date sent:              Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:53:37 -0600

It is a virus, probably Magistra.Worm.  Check your Antivirus definitions.
Otherwise go to Trend Micro's HouseCall and perform a Virus Scan.

Why do you suggest a virus? Because the scroll bar moves? Or are you
confusing the scrollbar moving with the typical actions of the
Magistr worm where it causes desktop icons to evade the mouse cursor
after it's been active on the system for a couple of months?

Before jumping on the 'IT'S A VIRUS!!!!' bandwagon, try checking your
mouse for faults (swap it with a known good one). Many weird cursor
behaviours can be attributed to a faulty/failing mouse. Eliminate the
obvious before blaming malware.

Cheers,
Brad