Security Basics mailing list archives

StartTLS (was: Email Encryption Between Servers)

From: Bear Giles <bgiles () coyotesong com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:18:06 -0700

I don't understand why so many people are pushing VPN solutions. They have their place, but in this case it's driving a screw with a hammer.

The two key words in your requirements are:

1) email

and

2) HIPAA

The reason I'm emphasizing the latter is because you don't just want encryption, you want to be able to provide proof that you used encryption. It also means (if I understand HIPAA correctly) that you're not just worried about privacy loss because somebody is sniffing network traffic, you also need to pro-actively take steps to avoid handing off mail to an unauthorized MTA pretending to be an authorized party.

Fortunately there's already a standard solution to this problem: use a MTA that supports the "STARTTLS" extension. I'm not familiar with Exchange, but I'm sure it (or an add-on) supports it. All of the standard Unix MTAs support it - sendmail, postfix, qmail, etc.

In a nutshell, STARTTLS gives you TLS (SSL) encryption during your email session. It does not require either the senders or receivers do anything special, it just encrypts the traffic when talking to another STARTTLS-enabled MTA. Most if not all MTAs allow you to log the fact that the message was encrypted into the header ("Received: from example.com[192.168.1.1] using Blowfish (128 bits)"), to say nothing of your MTA logs. This can be used to prove due diligence, if it ever becomes an issue.

You can use self-signed certificates, or you could buy them from a trusted third party. Given the nature of your problem, you probably want to verify the peer certificate. This isn't a problem with self-signed certs, you just need to exchange them with your peers at some point.

Finally, you can set up most if not all MTAs to *require* a valid cert before you'll talk to them. This ensures that your MTA won't fall back to an unencrypted channel if there's a problem. Strictly speaking it's a violation of the RFC, but it's widely practiced in situations like this.

Taking a further step back, don't let the fact that you're running Exchange blind you to other MTAs. I've heard that many sites have dramatically improved their network environment by moving their Exchange servers fully within their firewall, and relaying all mail through a Unix MTA sitting in their DMZ. N.B., this MTA is set up as a inside-to-outside and vice versa relay only - it should not perform any local mail delivery. Depending upon how much spam- and virus-filtering you want to perform on this gateway, even ancient boat anchors (e.g., P-100s) are more than sufficient.

Bear

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics