Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Email Encryption Between Servers

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 11:25:16 -0800

From: "Al Cooper" <alc () 2wh com>
We are attempting to set up secure e-mail with our partner companies to
comply with the upcoming HIPAA requirements.  I would like to find a way to
encrypt all e-mail going between our mail server and our partners.  We are
using Exchange.  Some of our partners are also using Exchange and some are
using other SMTP servers.

Is there a way to automatically force all e-mail between our two e-mail
servers (either Exchange to Exchange or Exchange to SMTP) to be encrypted
then decrypted on arrival with no end user intervention?   If there are,
what affect, if any will these encryption methods have on our overall
network security.

I don't use exchange(I prefer qmail, it's more secure), but this should be a simple matter of inserting a call to gpg in your send and recieve scripts. Once you've distributed the your public key, and have theirs, you're all set to go. If you're tied into outlook, there is a plug-in that can do this for you at the user level, but I can't remember the name at the moment.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." -- Duke Leto Atreides

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics