Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Company Firewall's IP Address

From: "Bradley D. Moore" <brad.moore () circlecity net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:04:21 -0500

If the IP address shown was that of your firewall, then your firewall must be
running NAT.  If this is the case, then your network admin is correct.  Fir
the firewall to be more stealthy, it would need to be running in bridged (not
routed) mode, which precludes the use of NAT and requires a) your machine have
a globally unique IP address ( in which case *that* would have been the
address shown), or b) some other (routing) device run NAT.

An important point Steve makes is that SOME IP address must always be known to
any host you connect to, or communications cannot occur.  Which address(es)
are divulged is entierly a question of network design.

-------------------------------------
If I were to walk on water, the press would say I'm only doing it
because I can't swim.
                -- Bob Stanfield
Bradley D. Moore, CNE, CCNE, CCNA
brad.moore () circlecity net
317-331-7168
PGP Public Key: http://www.circlecity.net/brad.moore.asc
PGP Fingerprint: 347D 05BB 56D4 0675 5D2C F3A6 42AA B1B0 F4BD 610B