Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Company Firewall's IP Address

From: "Daniel R. Miessler" <danielrm26 () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 03:46:24 -0500

It just bothers me that someone would be able to determine the IP
address of
our firewall that easily.  It seems to me that our firewall should
operate in a
more stealth mode.

Your external interface of your firewall is probably your WAN address.
Anyone you interact with on the Internet has your WAN address (barring
proxies and such), otherwise they wouldn't be able to talk to you.

All this site did was take the address that you were talking to them
from (since they need that address to send you responses) and show it to
you telling you that you are broadcasting it and it is a security risk.
It is a ploy to make you freak out and think about your security (and
hopefully click their add).

Did it work?

--danielrm26