Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Company Firewall's IP Address

From: "Bill Lavalette" <billl () cyberbase7 com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:48:04 -0600

Tony -

First it is possible however you must think in a different light.. the fact
that the site did not reveal your IP address means the security that you
have in place is working.. in light of that here is another angle to look
at..

your curiosity has revealed the following information...

1 your using a checkpoint firewall
2 your using nat
3 your firewall admin doesn't believe that it is possible to retrieve that
ip address, which you have demonstrated as possible.

so which revealed more information about your companies security
infrastructure?  your ip on a popup add which is common place in most Spam
sites which is nothing more then a java script. Or broadcasting your
security architecture to a list of thousands of users? I'm not trying to
give you a hard time just trying to point out that that applet didn't know
that was your firewalls ip address, it thought it was yours.

Regards,

Bill