Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Company Firewall's IP Address

From: Bill Hamel <billh () bugs hamel net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 22:09:15 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

NAT does not reveal internal address space to external sources.

The NAT device creates an Address Translation Table where it keeps track
of each connection using source ports that 'it' assigns, and not internal
ip addresses.

Basically the table looks something like this:

Source Device   Source Port NAT Device IP    NAT Assigned Source Port
192.168.1.1     412         209.195.210.222         2345
192.168.1.2     50          209.195.210.222         3456
192.168.1.3     3245        209.195.210.222         4567

The only information that is 'seen' by device on the internet from the
above table is the NAT Device IP and the NAT Assigned source port.

The NAT device IP gives the destination a routable IP address to talk to
as well as the port. So even if all 3 devices above
are connected to the same device out on the internet, the NAT device knows
who gets which returning packet by the port it assigned to the
conversation.

IMHO of coarse :)

-b