Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Company Firewall's IP Address

From: Bruce Fowler <bfowler () hvp com au>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:39:39 +1100

Tony,

It is certainly possible to capture the IP address of the external interface
of the firewall. Something as simple as a tracert could identify this on an
open session. It would certainly be improbable that one could capture the IP
address of anything within your internal network space unless i) it was
specifically published, or ii) a direct route was enabled through the
firewall, or iii) the firewall had been breached. This is simply a marketing
angle. Disregard.

Bruce