Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Company Firewall's IP Address

From: "Michael S Hines" <mshines () purdue edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 19:32:09 -0500

A little digging with our friend Sam Spade shows us the following ----

The Domain registration shows the following:

Registrant:
BONZI Software (BONZI-DOM)
   P.O. Box 1222
   San Luis Obispo
   CA,93406
   US

   Domain Name: BONZI.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      Administrator  (ADM649-ORG)  admin () BONZI COM
      BONZI Software
      P.O. Box 1222
      San Luis Obispo, CA 93406
      US
      (805) 546-1955
      Fax- (805) 546-1956

   Record expires on 15-Sep-2009.
   Record created on 14-Sep-1995.
   Database last updated on 12-Nov-2002 19:08:29 EST.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   AUTH00.NS.UU.NET             198.6.1.65
   AUTH61.NS.UU.NET             198.6.1.182
-----------
it returns an IP address of 63.68.55.189
-----------
pings to it this evening at 7:10 pm are failing...  it may have been taken
down.
-----------
Bonzi owns a block of addresses - a subset of UUNET's addresses, as noted

11/12/02 19:11:27 IP block www.bonzi.com
Trying 63.68.55.189 at ARIN
Trying 63.68.55 at ARIN
UUNET Technologies, Inc. UUNET63 (NET-63-64-0-0-1)
                                  63.64.0.0 - 63.127.255.255
Bonzi Software UU-63-68-54 (NET-63-68-54-0-1)
                                  63.68.54.0 - 63.68.55.255
----------
a web inquiry shows the following:
11/12/02 19:14:18 Browsing http://www.bonzi.com/
Fetching http://www.bonzi.com/ ...
GET / HTTP/1.1 Host: www.bonzi.com Connection: close User-Agent: Sam Spade
1.14  HTTP/1.1 302 Object Moved Location:
http://www.bonzi.com/bonziportal/index.asp Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
----------
Sam Spade can be your friend - check it out at
http://samspade.org/ssw/dl.html

You'll have to draw your own conclusions.

If you're on the Internet (and not behind a proxy) then you ARE advertising
your IP addresses.  Sounds like yours may have been found by a random
scanner.  The good news is that it appears your firewall worked, your
internal address was not disclosed.  And you wisely posted using a public
e-mail service (not your internal network id).  Only problem was Yahoo
displayed the IP address of the Webmail poster in the message header - it
was posted by the host IP 63.163.99.130.  The lookup on that is left as an
exercise for the reader...

All of the above information is in the public domain and readily available
using one or more of the tools that should be in an auditors toolbox.

msh
Michael S Hines                | Phone 765-494-5875
Purdue University              | FAX   765-496-1380
Information Technology@Purdue  | Email mshines () purdue edu
OS/390 Systems Programmer      | Certifications:
401 S Grant St                 |    CIA, CISA, CFE, CDP
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2024  |